.

October 23, 2013

School Shootout In Nevada... Please Don't Blame Video Games In This.

October 21, 2013. Another school shootout has happened, this time in Sparks Middle School in Nevada, killing one teacher and wounded two students.

This only lasted for few minutes. The shootout started just before the morning school bell rang. The students were shouting and crying while running and hiding as they hear the gunshots. A math teacher, who is a former Marine was killed while trying to protect the children. Two 12 year old kids were wounded, they are now in stable condition. After the gun frenzy, the gunman who is identified as a student in that school killed himself.

The gunman or the "gunkid" took his parent's semi-automatic handgun and then started to go shooting in his school. Nobody knew why this kid did it. His motives died with him. The police described the event as pure chaos.

Well that's the story, the short version that is. I don't plan to post this in this blog, but there's a reason why I posted it. Anytime now, the news media will start another "forum like" segments in the news where they discuss that video games have played a part in this chaos. Evident that the latest and controversial game, GTAV were released last month.

I play video games since the late NES days, I was 4 years old back then. Then in the 90's the FPS/3rd Person Shooter games appeared (which is now over-saturated in America). I played Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. during the genre's early years and I still play these kind of shooting games today. My point is that I played violent games when I was a 12 year old kid, but getting my parent's gun and go on a gun frenzy/shooting spree never crossed my mind because my parents raised me well.

Don't blame video games in this. What should parents do is hide their guns (if they have any) and keep them out of reach of children. Hide the gun in your ancestor's grave or something. Another important thing here is Responsible Parenting. Consider yourself a proud responsible parent by not buying your spoiled kid violent video games, it's RATED M FOR MATURE for crying out loud, not Rated K for kids! Speaking of spoiled kids, don't spoil them anymore. Kids this days, they act like masters now and the parents are slaves.

Oh yeah, back to the main story, I hear that the authorities are planning to train the teachers how to defend themselves and the students if kind this thing happen again. I just hope that this time it's effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.